Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Simple, vegan sushi

My kids love when I make sushi for dinner and if it wasn't so much work I would make it a lot more often. One day, however, in an attempt to use up some leftovers in a quick and easy way, I came up with a new "sushi" recipe that is nutritious, delicious and simple. I must admit, however, that my kids are not quite as enthusiastic about this recipe but I love it and I think you might too.


What makes this sushi particularly unique is that the filling has almost nothing to do with sushi as you and I know it. This roll contains quinoa, hummus and kale. Although really you could put just about any grain, veggie and spread in a sheet of nori, roll it up and call it a meal.

Quinoa is a whole grain with tremendous nutritional value. It has a very high protein content, as well as fiber, phosphorous, and magnesium. It is also gluten-free and cooks in about 15 minutes (recipe below).

I make my own hummus because I am a mom of two kids. Those of you without kids may not be familiar with the discerning palates of young children. Those of you with kids...well, need I say more? So this hummus is tahini free. But you can purchase a variety of hummesses (hummi?) from your local grocery store.

Lastly I add kale because kale is my absolute favorite green. Not only is it packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber, but when I eat it I swear my body is smiling. I dip the completed concoction in soy sauce and voila! A balanced meal, easy to transport, prepared in seconds (when using leftovers) and deeply satisfying.

Quinoa

2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1 tsp salt

Combine in a pot. Bring the water to a boil. Cover. Lower the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. All done!

Hummus

2 cups chickpeas soaked overnight
1 T. lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
1 cup chickpea water
1/2 cup olive oil and extra for cooking water

Place soaked chickpeas in pressure cooker. Cover chickpeas with water and then add about 1/2 inch more. (water should be about 1/2 inch above chickpeas). Bring to pressure. Cook nine minutes. Let sit until all the heat has left.

Grind garlic in food processor. Add chickpeas, chickpea water, salt and lemon juice. Blend. While blending slowly add olive oil. All done.

Kale

I like to keep it simple with kale. For this recipe I sauteed it in olive oil with a pinch of salt. Cook until desired tenderness.

Sushi

Place about 1/2 cup of quinoa on nori roll. Add hummus on top. Then kale. Roll. Dip. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious!
I love quinow and hummus! (Hummus is almost too tasty to be true :P).
Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe!

Super Nutrient Gal said...

You are very welcome. I'll have to check out your blog tomorrow (when I'm not totally exhausted) and see what healthy tips you got going on.

Warmly,
Alison